VA NY Harbor Healthcare System
The staff at VA NY Harbor Healthcare System campuses provide a number of ways for you to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and self-manage your own health.
Patient Health Education Center
Our Patient Health Education Office is staffed by an experienced patient education librarian and patient health education coordinator. The center contains a collection of easy-to-read health-and-wellness books, respected health education newsletters, videos and other materials.
Call (212) 686-7500 x7687 for information and the Patient Education Center location.
The My HealtheVet site provides Veterans and their families excellent, reliable patient education information as well as the latest VA news. Information about Veterans benefits and services is also available.
Upon registering with My HealtheVet, you will be able to —
- Refill prescriptions online.
- Keep personal food and activity journals.
- Monitor your personal health data, such as blood pressure and pain levels.
- Maintain your own self-entered personal health record.
Clinical staff provide ongoing health education classes during regularly-scheduled outpatient clinic visits. Courses focus on —
- Health promotion.
- Upcoming tests and procedures.
Staff can tell you about upcoming education classes.
Clinical staff begin the patient education process at the time of admission, during the hospital stay and at discharge. Our goal is to provide a hospital environment where patients —
- Continually receive updated health information.
- Can ask questions about their health.
- Can enjoy as comfortably as possible their stay in our facility.
VA Television Network
An on-demand education video system is available for all inpatient rooms and in some waiting areas. Ask the staff for further information on how to access the system.