VA NY Harbor Healthcare System
The Chaplain Service offers spiritual and religious care for Veterans, their families and loved ones, and VA staff. During scheduled working hours, chaplains are on the premises providing spiritual care by making rounds and performing follow-up visits with patients, providing rituals and sacraments as requested, conducting religious services and responding to urgent spiritual care needs in the ER and on the inpatient units. Chaplains are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. During evenings and weekends chaplains are reachable through the pager system for:
- Emergency sacramental administration.
- Family members and loved ones support as the end of life approaches for their loved one.
- Patients requesting an immediate visit from a chaplain.
- Referral from staff.
On some evenings and weekends, there may be a chaplain in the facility. A chaplain may also be on call but off site, so the initial response may be by telephone and transit time will be necessary.
Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE)
The CPE Program of VA New York Harbor is accredited by the Association of Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE). CPE is an experience-based form of theological education that is led by a certified pastoral educator with a small group of peers in a common learning environment. The program offers yearlong on a full time basis CPE (Level I/Level II) Residency Program, and a yearlong Mental Health CPE Fellowship Program. Contact the Certified Educator at (212) 686-7500, x4640 (Manhattan Campus) or (718) 526-1000 x2091 (St. Albans Campus) for more information. Kindly visit the ACPE Website for more information on Clinical Pastoral Education, and download the ACPE application form from ACPE online.
- Chaplain Andrew Sioleti, IV Dei, LCSW, D.Min.
Chief of Chaplains/ACPE Certified Educator
(212) 686-7500 x4640
- Florine Thompson, MDiv, LMSW, BCC
ACPE Certified Educator
(718) 526-1000 x2091
Brooklyn Campus (718) 836-6600
- Chaplain Abey George, Orthodox Chaplain – Ext. 1088
- Chaplain Charles Hall, Protestant Chaplain – Ext. 3398
- Chaplain Richard Mattox, Catholic Chaplain – Ext. 3399
New York Campus (212) 686-7500
- Chaplain Orhan Cetin, Muslim Chaplain – Ext. 7371
- Chaplain Elizabeth Putnam, Protestant Chaplain – Ext. 3178
- Chaplain Andrew Scheer, Jewish Chaplain – Ext. 7371
- Chaplain Ivan Tyhovych, Catholic Chaplain – Ext. 6478
St. Albans Campus (718) 526-1000
- Chaplain Edward Conway, Palliative Care Chaplain – Ext. 2044
- Chaplain Ramon Saavedra, Catholic Chaplain – Ext.2042
- Chaplain Andrew Scheer, Jewish Chaplain – Ext. 2653
- Chaplain Verbelle Williams, Protestant Chaplain – Ext. 2652
- All Campuses
- 212-686-7500 Ext. 4640
- 718-836-6600 Ext. 3398
Hours of Operation
- Chaplains on call 24/7